Dutch Embassy - Visa to The Netherlands


EU nationals or nationals from countries that have a treaty with the Netherlands and/or the EU do not require a visa for a short stay. (90 days)

Consult the website Nederlandenu.nl which is the official Dutch government website to check if there is a treaty between your county and the Netherlands. If there is no treaty for your nationality, you or your foreign partner need a visa.

There are different types of visas depending on the length of stay in the Netherlands:

Short stay: maximum 90 days.
Long stay: more than 90 days.

Short stay (Schengen visa)

You must apply for a Schengen visa in person at the Dutch embassy or the Dutch consulate in your home country. (Unless that Dutch embassy or Consulate has outsourced visa applications to a third party.)

You can find all information about the Schengen visa and the application procedure on the official website of the Dutch government. Please note! You cannot apply for a Schengen visa on arrival in the Netherlands.

Extension Schengen visa

A Schengen visa can not be renewed only in cases of emergency such as on medical grounds, for example, the visa can be extended.

Long stay - Authorization for Provisional Stay (MVV)

If your or your partner are not EU citizens and want to stay in the Netherlands or the EU for longer than 90 days, he or she needs a Provisional Residence Permit (MVV).

An MVV can be applied for at the Immigration and Naturalization Service. look at Nederlandenu.nl for more information.
The outcome of an MVV application must be awaited in the country of origin.

In almost all cases, a civic integration examination must first be successfully completed at the Dutch embassy in the home country.

After you have arrived in the Netherlands.

For stays longer than 90 days, you must register with city hall in the municipality where you will live. You will then receive a Citizen Service Number (BSN). You need this number, for example, when opening a bank account, taking out a health insurance policy and almost always if you have contact with the government.